9th Annual Boxcar Derby at the BIG HOUSE
Sunday, Apr. 9, 2017 1-4 PM
presented by Phi Delta Theta & Ann Arbor Active Against ALS
The University of Michigan chapter of Phi Delta Theta and Ann Arbor Active Against ALS are looking forward to the Ninth Annual Boxcar Derby to raise money for ALS research (Lou Gehrig’s Disease).
The race course is outside the BIG HOUSE on E. Keech in the shadow of the Michigan Football Stadium! Enjoy a BBQ picnic and refreshments while you cheer on the racers!
Get all the on our Facebook Event page [coming soon] like parking, practice times, T-shirts, & swag.
NEW ALL AGES CARDBOARD BOX KART EVENT (registration only $5/person)
For the first time, make and decorate your own box kart at home, or borrow a cardboard box kart and run around in fun races, relays and obstacle courses for toddlers, teens, adults and everyone in between! Trophies for best design and best performance style.
THREE BOXCAR DERBY RACE DIVISIONS:
• 9 and Under Classic Car division (ages 5-9)
• Open Classic Car division (ages 10+)
• Big Kid division, bigger boxcars (ages 16+ including adults)
Trophies to top finishers and runner-up in each division.
• Classic Boxcars – BUILD, PRE-BUILT, or BORROW:
available for the 9 and Under and Open divisions while supplies last – Build your own from a kit ($40), paint and race a Pre-Built boxcar ($40), or borrow one at the event.
• Big Kid Boxcars – BUILD, PRE-BUILT, RENT or BORROW:
available for the Big Kid division (ages 16+ including adults) — bigger, faster cars with sweet rims to really cruise at the Big House! Build your own from a kit ($60), paint and race a Pre-Built boxcar ($60), Rent a boxcar ($30), or borrow one at the event.
Watch the 2016 Boxcar Derby Highlight Video:
THANK YOU 2017 Sponsors!
Gold Cup Level:
Put together your own boxcar from one of our kits!
Click on image above to see more!
DESIGN & BUILD YOUR OWN BOXCAR REQUIREMENTS:
safety and starting ramp requirements for ALL cars (new and veteran):
- WIDTH: maximum 28” (2016 change)
- LENGTH: maximum 48”
- WEIGHT: no more than 50 lbs.
- 4 WHEELS: 9 & Under and Open divisions – 6″ maximum diameter (recommend ball bearing wheels).
- 4 WHEELS: Big Kid division – 12″ maximum diameter.
- STEERING: The course is straight – limited steering is recommended.
Good luck building!
2014/15/16 Derby Winner CHALLENGE! View the video:
Contact us at [email protected].